Clean dye off of MagSafe cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ColinEC, Feb 5, 2010.

1. ColinEC macrumors 6502

Odd question..

I wiped my MagSafe cable off with a damp microfiber cloth, and the dye from the cloth bled onto the cable and stained it.

Can this stain be removed somehow?

2. Picho macrumors member

Try a cotton ball with acetone (nail polish remover), that should do the trick and it won't damage your cable, as it is a mild solvent. Just be careful not to get the connectors wet.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Acetone is a very strong solvent, and it will soften or dissolve plastic.

Try rubbing alcohol first. It that doesn't work, you could try acetone, but be aware that acetone might permanently change the finish on the cable (it might make it more or less glossy). A lot of nail polish remover is acetone-free these days, and I don't know how well that would work compared to acetone (if acetone even works).

4. ColinEC thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried rubbing alcohol first before the acetone and it didn't seem to work. Nail polish (with acetone) worked well and removed all of the stain!

The original white finish on the cable is still there, so it doesn't seem like the acetone did any more damage than the stain itself.

Just a heads up, it was the black cloth that came with the computer that bled onto the cable. I should have known better than to use a black cloth on a white cable, but if anyone is wanting to clean their Mac with the cloth consider using a different one :p

Thanks for the help, the cable looks new again.

5. Picho macrumors member

Glad to be of help. I have cleaned several cables that way, that's why I knew it would work.

Take care.