Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Is this a feature better left turned off? I do have optimized battery charging turned on my iPhone 15 Pro but have clean energy charging turned off. Is there a reason to turn that feature on that would benefit my iPhone’s battery health or the overall functionality of my iPhone in any way?

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
No benefit to your battery health.

That feature is solely focused on charging the phone only at times when the grid is relying more on green sources than fossil fuels. I turned it off because it made charging behavior unpredictable and sometimes the device was not charging when I needed it to be.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
No benefit to your battery health.

That feature is solely focused on charging the phone only at times when the grid is relying more on green sources than fossil fuels. I turned it off because it made charging behavior unpredictable and sometimes the device was not charging when I needed it to be.
Thank you, and under system services you also have all these system services toggled on? (Screenshot attached below)

Attachments

• IMG_0992.png
    IMG_0992.png
    323.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0993.png
    IMG_0993.png
    406.3 KB · Views: 32

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Here’s a page that breaks down what they all do. I only enable the ones I am actually using, but that’s just me.

Do you personally have significant locations turned on? apparently optimized battery charging does not work unless that is turned on

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Do you personally have significant locations turned on? apparently optimized battery charging does not work unless that is turned on

I do use Significant Locations because I found disabling it also disabled other features I use like traffic routing and Siri suggestions.

There are a bunch of iOS features that rely on Significant Locations. If you aren’t sure whether it will affect you, try turning it off and see if there are any elements of the OS you use that aren’t working any more.

Reactions: Benz63amg

jazzzyJeff

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2024
I just have these enabled along with Clean Energy.
There’s no need to turn off Significant locations unless you wanna save your battery. That data is encrypted and processed on-device and is actually essential for a lot of other functions to work.

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpeg
    IMG_0121.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 24

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I just have these enabled along with Clean Energy.
There’s no need to turn off Significant locations unless you wanna save your battery. That data is encrypted and processed on-device and is actually essential for a lot of other functions to work.
Out of curiosity, why did you opt to disable Cell Network Search?

Also, Do you have the toggles under the “Product Improvement” section of that system services page toggled on or off? (iPhone analytics, routing & traffic & improve maps)

jazzzyJeff

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2024
Out of curiosity, why did you opt to disable Cell Network Search?

Also, Do you have the toggles under the “Product Improvement” section of that system services page toggled on or off? (iPhone analytics, routing & traffic & improve maps)
It doesn’t help the functionality in anyway and only contributes to the battery drain.

I have everything else disabled. If it doesn’t add to the functionality then I have it disabled. Analytics and improvement helps Apple with more data but not the user in anyway.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I have but rarely need to. I charge it when it gets to 40% and it stops it a 80%. That easily lasts me a day. I have around 49 charge cycles on my 15PM purchased a day after it was released.
Thats amazing. What system services do you have enabled under Settings > Privacy and Security > Location Services > System Services? do you have all the toggles turned on and enabled or did you switch any of them off?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Thats amazing. What system services do you have enabled under Settings > Privacy and Security > Location Services > System Services? do you have all the toggles turned on and enabled or did you switch any of them off?
Not really. I'm not what you would call a heavy user. When I'm home I usually use my 12.9 M1 iPad Pro for everything so that pretty much does all my heavy lifting. System services settings:
FEA4122E-F5DC-4E7F-BE56-188AFC5BF26C.jpeg
0723B9E6-691D-44FA-8B7B-FECDBEDAEF0D.jpeg

Reactions: Benz63amg

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have one more question, whats the reason you turned off Networking and Wireless? that seems like an essential system service to keep enabled
I turn things off and see how it effects my day to day use. Turning off Networking and Wireless doesn't seem to effect anything in a negative way as far as I can tell.. It's difficult to find information on what exactly each category actually does and why it needs to be enabled.. All I know is the Phone operates normally and does everything I expect it to do

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I turn things off and see how it effects my day to day use. Turning off Networking and Wireless doesn't seem to effect anything in a negative way as far as I can tell.. It's difficult to find information on what exactly each category actually does and why it needs to be enabled.. All I know is the Phone operates normally and does everything I expect it to do
Based on my research turning that Networking and wireless toggle turns off the U1/U2 chip in the iPhone. Not sure what negative/positive effect that has on the phone’s performance

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Based on my research turning that Networking and wireless toggle turns off the S1/S2 chip in the iPhone. Not sure what negative/positive effect that has on the phone’s performance
Do You mean the U1/U2 ultrawide-band chip? I haven't had any issues locating my Airtags using the precise location tracking or with Airdrop. I haven't tried NameDrop so not sure if that works properly. If that's the case I would turn it on just so all that functionality works as intended.. Where did you find the info on what Networking and Wireless actually controls?

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Do You mean the U1/U2 ultrawide-band chip? I haven't had any issues locating my Airtags using the precise location tracking or with Airdrop. I haven't tried NameDrop so not sure if that works properly. If that's the case I would turn it on just so all that functionality works as intended.. Where did you find the info on what Networking and Wireless actually controls?
Yes I meant U1/U2 chips. This video explains each of the services one by one and says the Ultrawideband chip is turned off by switching that toggle:

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
Thank you, and under system services you also have all these system services toggled on? (Screenshot attached below)
The only two system location services I have on are Setting Time Zone and System Customization so that Night Shift turns on automatically at sunset wherever I am. Maps routing (I take public transit) works just fine. :) And no, I don’t use Clean Energy Charging—just the 80% charge limit on my 15.

And yeah, I don’t use Find My or AirTags at all, either.

Attachments

• IMG_0671.png
    IMG_0671.png
    332.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0672.png
    IMG_0672.png
    365.1 KB · Views: 18

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
The only two system location services I have on are Setting Time Zone and System Customization so that Night Shift turns on automatically at sunset wherever I am. Maps routing (I take public transit) works just fine. :) And no, I don’t use Clean Energy Charging—just the 80% charge limit on my 15.

And yeah, I don’t use Find My or AirTags at all, either.
How is your battery life overall with system services set up that way? You do realize compass calibration is essential for all map apps to function properly? Not sure why you turned that off. Motion calibration and distance is another very important one. Significant locations is required for optimized battery charging to work

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: iLuddite

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
How is your battery life overall with system services set up that way?
Quite good on a base iPhone 15. Would probably be better if I didn’t have the Weather widget on my home screen, but alas—that is one place I sacrifice some (slight) efficiency for convenience. I do not, however, grant Weather—or any app, for that matter—to “Always” access my location.

I also always keep Background App Refresh off along with airplane mode on (including fully-disabled wifi and Bluetooth as I no longer have an Apple Watch) unless I’m actively using my phone, and even then I’ll usually just momentarily enable wifi if I’m around a hotspot (such as at home or work) since I have wifi calling enabled, rendering cellular connectivity mostly superfluous. When I do use cellular it is LTE with Low Data Mode enabled to prevent unnecessary and inefficient transmission.

My phone is also always in Low Power Mode when away from home. I’d call myself somewhat of a “power minimalist,” if you will. 😇

Last edited:

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
You do realize compass calibration is essential for all map apps to function properly? Not sure why you turned that off. Motion calibration and distance is another very important one. Significant locations is required for optimized battery charging to work
Because I don’t need it or Motion Calibration & Distance to ride the bus to and from work on my usual day. I’ll maybe turn those on, along with Satellite Connection, if I’m getting lost walking somewhere tricky around highway overpasses or something unusual.

Compass Calibration and Motion Calibration & Distance are also constantly pinging one’s location so I find leaving them on extra unappealing.

And no, Significant Locations is not necessary for the 80% charge limit to work. :)

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Because I don’t need it or Motion Calibration & Distance to ride the bus to and from work on my usual day. I’ll maybe turn those on, along with Satellite Connection, if I’m getting lost walking somewhere tricky around highway overpasses or something unusual.

Compass Calibration and Motion Calibration & Distance are also constantly pinging one’s location so I find leaving them on extra unappealing.

And no, Significant Locations is not necessary for the 80% charge limit to work. :)
Apple says significant locations is required to be on for optimized charging to work. See the screenshot below.

Attachments

• IMG_1039.jpeg
    IMG_1039.jpeg
    434.2 KB · Views: 19
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.