Clean from Tiger to SL - my plan is correct?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Olivier L., Sep 4, 2009.

1. Olivier L. macrumors member

I have a Macbook C2D 2GHz with the stock 120Go HD. Currently running Tiger 10.4.11.

I would like to install SL.

I think I will go for a clean install: boot from the SL DVD, wipe the drive, install SL.

Q1) is it indeed better than trying to upgrade?

Q2) is my procedure correct?

1. make a bootable clone of my MB HD on a passport USB 160 Go HD with CCC (already regularly done)
    2. test again the bootability of this external HD
    3. boot from DVD, wipe internal HD, install SL
    4. re-install applications
    5. copy my data, manually, from external HD to internal HD (manually: documents, pictures, ...)
    6. test extensively
    7. IF PROBLEMS: boot again from ext HD and restore Tiger.

Q3) Any way to import an application that was installed to my new OS? Is it impossible or simply not clean enough?

Thanks for any hint!

2. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

i bought a bigger drive for my macbook then kept my tiger system on one partition and installed SL on the other. just migrated over the network/settings. no problem. will add manually those apps i use when i know they work with SL.

3. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

That sounds solid enough. Some apps you can probably copy over from Tiger to SL, but apps like CS4 have files strewn all over the place and its not going to work with a drag/drop. Its best just to install everything new. You dont reinstall the OS often, so spend the time to make sure its done right, then make a bootable backup of SL.