Clean Hands = No Antenna Problems (WIRED Article)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 6, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

2. tianh macrumors regular

3. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

I just practically rubbed the skin raw on my hands with antibacterial soap. I had no difference.

4. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

g'd son.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

This explains a lot. Especially why certain people are having so many problems.
    :eek::eek::eek:

7. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I noticed this before with my friends' phones. They both experience the death grip problem, but when I held it (I wash my hands often) it would only go down 2 bars at most. A few hours later, I was getting it to go to no service. Just washed my hands maybe 10 minutes ago, and it lost only 1 bar.

Didn't bother to post anything about it because 1) I assumed someone already mentioned it by now 2) thought I was just holding it the wrong way (the wrong way).

8. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

If individuals want to come up with crazy theories and test them out, I'm fine with that.

If an organization like Wired, Consumer Reports, and others are going to go to the trouble to talk to an engineer and write an article about it, then actually TEST SOMETHING!!!

How about this?

- Get a few engineers together who know what they're talking about.
    - Get together with some people who have actually had the problem and can repeat it.
    - Try out a bunch of theories and run speed tests and any other tests while you do it.
    - Record your results on video.
    - Post the results and the video for all the world to see.

Is it really that hard? If I read one more article from an engineer "speculating" on what is causing the problems, despite the fact that he hasn't experienced them himself, I'm going to start shooting people.*

*virtual people

9. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

10. keyofnight macrumors regular

keyofnight

Fat Princess, Team Deathmatch. :)

11. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Damn it. Guess I'm going to have to quit my job cleaning sewers. :(

(That was a joke.)

12. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

In reality, washing your hands should be something you do very often, so you wouldn't be going out of your way to test this. I wash my hands often so I'll post my experience when I get my iPhone 4 later tonight.

13. opmisk macrumors member

Hmm... i don't pretend to be a bio-chemist but after a quick hand-washing and thoroughly drying my hands, a quick, barely-scientific test seemed to improve the situation.

Interesting conversation piece, perhaps some merit to this theory.

14. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

To really test this theory to the fullest extent, try wiping your iPhone 4 down well and then try grasping it with clean hands. For those of you who aren't noticing clean hands noticeably improving reception, it may be because the antenna is already dirty, so dirt/oil is still making contact with the antenna and your hands.

15. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

It's pretty hard to get everything conductive off your hands. I think it's because the folks at Apple aren't really people.

16. twigg macrumors member

I wash my hands often and it doesnt seem to make much of a difference. But then again the Zagg on the back (and the one that use to be on the front) attracts a lot of dirt and oil.

17. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

what? English?

18. theclueless macrumors member

19. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

After I wiped down the iPhone the reception did get better. Interesting :cool:

20. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

No effect here, but this was already attempted when the phone was first received anyway. Never seemed to have any effect for the friends of mine that purchased iPhone 4's here in town as well and have since returned 'em.

And I'm in the desert as well so, the fairly low humidity isn't having any effect on signal propagation either.

21. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

I think perhaps the issue has less to do with "dirty" hands per se and more towards damp, moist hands. Test that -- sweaty palms like on a first date versus dry hands.

22. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Glad I'm not the only one who was baffled by that reply :confused:

23. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I think this theory is just a little bit ridiculous. This guy is a bio chemist not an electronics engineer or antenna expert. Clean hands? C'mon.

Seems like everyone has an answer to Apple's problems.

24. dagomike macrumors 65816

When I read that yesterday, I tired it. Cleaned the phone, triple washed my hands, and dried them throughly. No difference.

Really makes these guys sound dumb. The idea is a little far out there as it is, and apparently they never even tested their idea. No wonder why Apple never responded.

25. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr