Clean install 10.9.1?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by LostJohn, Nov 22, 2013.

1. LostJohn macrumors member

Is there any reason to do a clean install of 10.9.1 when it's released? I always clean install major releases over a reformatted drive, but I'd like to not have to wait until 10.9.1 before I load all my programs onto my 10.9 install.

Any input on this?

2. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

I'm thinking about clean installing on my early 2011 MBP (which came with Snow Leopard), then I installed Lion, and then Mountain Lion - I suppose it's about time to do a clean install. Just need to research if I can perform a clean install without touching my Boot Camp partition.

Unlike myself, you said you clean installed every major release, so it's not like there's going to be old system files lying around. From what I've heard Maverick's is now very good if you just do an upgrade (not a clean install). I'd suggest not doing a clean install, but if any problems arise, then you can always do a clean install later.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Windows methodology ported over to OS X. I have a early 08 Mac Pro, have update every time (running 10.9.1) and have never done a full clean instal.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Unless you are having some specific problem that requires a clean install, I don't see why you would need to go to all the trouble.

5. Isamilis macrumors 6502

I would do upgrade first and wait for few days to see if any issues found. If I found critical issues during that period and quite sure those issues are not exist if clean install, then I would do clean install.

6. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

10.9.1 from SU won't be a full installer. Maybe a day after it's released, you will need to download the full installer (5GB) from the MAS.

7. Mac.User macrumors 6502

If you look around the forums more and more people recommend clean installs than upgrades then the did with 10.6. Apples quality has gone down hill lately.

8. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

I have 2 Macs that I upgraded to 10.9 (the rest may/may not be upgraded, one I know will stay at 10.8.x)

iMac, has been 10.6 through 10.9 never once had a clean install. Has 95% of the problems with 10.9...

MBP also has 10.6 through 10.9 installed, but a clean install on 10.8.0 and 10.9.0 other than minor annoyances.. no major issues.

I'm about to purchase a new hybrid HD for the iMac, I *will* be doing a clean install this time. I download and make a USB drive for each OS X Version, after 10.9.1 is released.. i'm re doing that USB drive with the 10.9.1 installer.