Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I backed up my mountain lion equipped mac then restarted by holding down option and R so I can wipe my disk clean again to do a fresh install of ML again. However, it only gives me the option to reinstall. I have my thumb drive with the lion installer so why is it not booting up from that? Also, when i try to reinstall ML, it continuously ask me for my Apple I.D. even after putting it in correctly.

What am I doing wrong?

littledude8209

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
I backed up my mountain lion equipped mac then restarted by holding down option and R so I can wipe my disk clean again to do a fresh install of ML again. However, it only gives me the option to reinstall. I have my thumb drive with the lion installer so why is it not booting up from that? Also, when i try to reinstall ML, it continuously ask me for my Apple I.D. even after putting it in correctly.

What am I doing wrong?

To boot from a USB drive, you need to hold down the option key while booting, and select the USB drive. You can't erase the hard drive while in the recovery partition because the recovery partition is ON the main HD. You may need to make a Mountain Lion USB drive though, because my last attempt at booting a lion drive from ML failed horribly.

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.