Clean install and BootCamp

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MadJens, Oct 24, 2013.

1. MadJens macrumors member

Hi everyone

I have a 1TB Fusion Drive (late iMac 2012) and I'm planing on doing a clean install of the new Maverick OS X. I know that that will erase all my files on the macintosh partition but what about my windows partition? Of the 1TB I have 100 GB reserved for Windows 7 and I use parallels desktop 8.

1. Do I have to reinstall Windows after a clean install?
    2. I have to reconfigurate Parallels Desktop 8, right?
    3. As everything works fine now with Parallels and Windows and I dont want to lose that, wouldn't it be better to just make the update to Maverick rather than a clean install? What are the exact benefits of a clean install anyway?
    4. Doing a simple update of Maverick, is Parallels desktop 8 still compatible and working with the Windows 7 partition?

In advance, many thanks for your help!!

2. wilsonjm macrumors newbie

re: clean install and bootcamp

Hi, when you install Mavericks, you are asked in which partition to install it to. As long as you choose the Mac partition it won't touch the Windows partition at all.

You will have to reinstall Parallels afterwards and just point it to your Windows partition (although it may well find it automatically, not sure).

As to whether or not you should do this, or rather will you see any benefit to doing so, I don't know! Unless your Mac was performing poorly beforehand, I doubt you will see much of a difference.

Good luck!

3. tyche macrumors 6502

Have a proper backup with Time Machine and/or Carbon Copy Cloner. Then upgrade to Mavericks. If everything is fine, forget about clean installs. All your data and software will remain installed including Bootcamp.

Parallels 8 is compatible with Mavericks but there is a kb about fixing a possible crash: http://kb.parallels.com/en/116822

4. MadJens thread starter macrumors member