Clean install and restore apps etc ?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ZeeDD, Oct 29, 2013.

1. ZeeDD macrumors member

Hi guys,

I'm sorry to ask something like that, but I really don't know how to do that...

I would like to do a clean install of Mavericks on my MBA mid 2013. No problem with that part of the process.

My question is: After that clean install, is there a way to restore all apps, settings, etc... from my actual Mavericks install, to that fresh and clean install ? I don't want to re-download all my apps etc...

I have a time machine backup, but I don't know if I can do that kind of thing with TM, or if I need to use migration assistant or another software ?

Thanks a lot for the help !

Franck

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

After your clean install, you can use Migration Assistant to restore from your Time Machine.

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

If you do so, the install is no longer "clean"...

A "clean" install is : installing the OS, then installing the apps, then importing your data, and no importing your settings.

4. ZeeDD thread starter macrumors member

Ok, to be more clear: I would like to do a "selective" app install. I mean to just installing some apps that I want to keep, and not installing others that I never use. Not restoring all the system like a TM restore.

Hope that I'm clear...

5. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

You can do that via migration assistant. Use a time machine backup to do that. I never restore the system settings though. You can select the apps you want to restore.

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Yep. Use Migration Assistant and your Time Machine.

7. ZeeDD thread starter macrumors member

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You cannot selectively move apps in with Migration Assistant. There is a checkbox for Applications, and that's it. So it is all or nothing as far as apps in Migration Assistant.

[​IMG]

9. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

Sorry to hijack this a bit, but I have a similar question…

My plan would be to do a clean install, and then selectively restore applications I wanted from my old downloads folder from Time Machine, to my new downloads folder. I would then install them (as all the installers are in the downloads folder). I wouldn't have any troubles with this, right?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, that would work fine. Just manually copy the installer from the TM backup to the drive then run the installer.

11. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I don't see any reason why you would have any trouble.

12. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Would it be easier to delete all the unwanted apps, etc. from your existing installation, then do another TM backup?

13. vistadude macrumors 65816

It would be even easier to delete the unwanted apps and just upgrade instead of clean install.