Clean install and still having problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jammingator, Oct 23, 2011.

1. jammingator macrumors newbie

Ok, so my new iMac continues to freeze up when I open iTunes even after a clean install.

This isn't even about using iTunes. The machine will freeze at some point soon after simply opening the program.

I am running the latest version of Snow Leopard and iTunes and all software is up to date. As some iLife apps were also freezing the machine early on I did not install these.

I did try to run a Hardware Test from the DVD but it would not start (held d down while starting the computer with the DVD loaded but the icon never showed).

Any suggestions?

2. ctucci macrumors regular

I would listen for an hd click of death. It'll make very little noise, then you'll hear a pretty good click! and then silence. This will repeat while the computer essentially does nothing.

If no click of death, then I'd replace the ram. If you don't have extra ram, pull one module at a time, checking stability after removing each module.

If this doesn't help, its probably AppleCare time. If your iMac wasn't new, I'd suspect an accumulation of dust/fuzz, etc, causing heat problems.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Try just booting from the DVD that came with your Mac, holding down C. Then run Disk Utility and see if your hard drive is hosed.

You could also try booting into safe mode; hold down shift at start up. Might be something you added to your Mac.

And how did you do the "clean" install? If this installation isn't working, try installing per Apple's instructions.

Rob

4. deafgoose macrumors regular

deafgoose

There are two DVD's that were included with your iMac.

One DVD is the operating system and the other is for the applications.

Put the DVD for the applications in the drive and hold the D key down during bootup. That will get you into AHT (apple hardware test) mode.

5. jammingator thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your input, in order here is my response:

--have heard no click at all. I do hear a noise at start , before the grey screen, but it's not a click
    --I'll have to check the ram

--for the clean install I Erased the hard drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard
    --will look into safe mode and booting from the DVD

--for AHT I have done exactly that to no avail, three times. It just boots as normal.