Clean install and time machine

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by alexburton, Jun 6, 2014.

1. alexburton macrumors newbie

Hi people, i would like to know if its possible to back up with TM just your settings and preferences, mail accounts, contacts, keychain etc etc.. so after a clean install you dont have to do everything from scratch!!

Any ideas??

2. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

I'm not 100% sure but can't you just uncheck the other files you don't need in TM settings? I believe the OS settings and contacts and stuff are always included in the backups, so by removing let's say the photos/video/document folders I believe you can solve this?

3. alexburton thread starter macrumors newbie

From time machine's options I can only exclude the folders which I dont want to back up, its seems a bit complicated to exclude everything..

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No it is not. You can do a full backup with TM, then use Migration Assistant with TM as the data source to restore settings etc.

However, this completely derates the purpose of a "clean install." A true clean install is an erase and install of the OS, then a manual reinstall of all apps data and settings. There is not automatic way to do this and still have a clean install.

5. alexburton thread starter macrumors newbie

So the only way is to do an iCloud back up, then clean install and finally restore from iCloud..

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Partly.... iCloud would get you back your calendar and contacts etc that are synced to iCloud. But you would still need to reinstall all your apps and move all your data and other settings back in manually. It can be a lot of work.

7. satcomer, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Since kids today love web videos they can see this demonstration.

Warning! IMHO don't transfer the Network Settings because I feel the Apple network stack improvements might get messed up and you might have network problems. So manually add your network settings.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The thing is, using Migration Assistant like in that video does not result in a clean install like the OP wants.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then what did you say
    ?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you want to use my quotes to argue, at least quote the whole reply where I made it clear Migration Assistant does not result in a clean install. Did you just miss that?

11. alexburton thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I didn't make my shelf clear.. I had a mbp early 2011 and two months ago I bought a new mbp retina 13" as you can see in my signature.. I was using time machine for my old mbp so i did a restore to the new mbp from time machine. I am totally satisfied from the performance of the new mbp but I still think if I do a clean install it will be even faster.. :rolleyes: