Clean install.. Avoid migration assistant?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by blueprint1983, Nov 10, 2011.

1. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

I'm doing a clean install with Lion but am thinking I should avoid migration assistant due to it possibly carrying over problems.

Should I avoid migration assistant and just manually drag over music, docs, and just redownload all apps manually?

2. Djay1 macrumors member

You might wish to check out the link below. After making a bootable DVD from the Lion download I loaded all else using the "Brute Force" method outlined below by MacWorld. In their example it is a Lion over Leopard install but I used their install over Snow Leopard. I've had a good experience after using this method on my iMac i5.

http://www.macworld.com/article/161087/2011/07/install_lion_over_leopard.html

3. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just did a clean install and am currently just dragging music, docs, and re-downloading all my Lion-friendly apps manually.

I know it's still early and the computer is still indexing and it also doesn't have all my apps and files yet, but...

everything is faster and more efficient.

4. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just wanted to say one last thing, I think that a clean install is necessary if you upgraded from the Mac Store. My Sister is also experiencing the same problem on her laptop from the same installation and I'm going to clean install her Macbook Pro tomorrow after seeing the difference now.

I'm actually impressed with OSX Lion now. I also think that my computer had a lot of old apps and files that caused *some* of this.