Clean Install El Capitan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pops68, Jan 6, 2016.

1. pops68 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

As my early 2011 MBP was slightly sluggish I decided on performing a clean install of El Capitan and searched numerous websites via Google on how to do this. I followed exactly as instructed on the website stated:

http://mashable.com/2015/10/01/clean-install-os-x-el-capitan/#z1XPQqNTREqY

However, I was expecting to have to reinstall ALL my apps via the App Store, but strangely, after reinstall many if not all the apps were already there. So it has left me feeling that I have not performed a proper clean install. I want to redo another clean install, however, i would be grateful if you guys can confirm whether the information from the link is complete or whether something is missing. Alternatively, can you provide me full details / instructions how to perform a clean install.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That site is accurate and would be a "clean install." Are you sure you did not miss this step (quote below)?

Some apps are part of the OS and get reinstalled, but other like the iLife and iWorks apps are not included. What apps are you seeing that makes you think you did not get a clean install?

After you did the clean install and rebooted it should have run a setup wizard that prompted you to make a new account. Did that happen?

3. pops68 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the late reply.

Cheers for your reply Weaselboy.

When I did the clean install, I believe most of my apps appeared once it had booted up, which came as a surprise, as I would have though all or most of the apps would need to have been re-installed.

Knowing that you have said that the site is accurate, I will probably give it another go and see what happens.

Thanks once again.