Clean install followed by partial Time Machine restore possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peterdevries, Dec 29, 2009.

1. peterdevries macrumors 68040

Feb 22, 2008
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    I need to do a clean install of Snow Leopard on my machine, but don't want to restore everything that is on my time machine. I have purchased much shareware software that I don't currently need and don't want hogging disk space.

Is it possible to do a partial restore of selected programs and their settings, or is it an all-or-nothing affair?

Thanks for your help!
  2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2006
    It's possible. But why not restore everything then delete the apps you don't want? If that is not an option, you can load up a clean install of Snow Leopard, enable Time Machine and click "enter time machine" to manually move needed files. I'm not sure about settings, but I think it's possible as long as you grab the right files within your Library folder.

I did this a few days back on a new iMac my parents got. I just restored needed folders and files from Time Machine and redid their settings manually. Only thing I backed up manually was their bookmarks and keychain settings.
  3. stallie macrumors newbie

Apr 2, 2010
    My mbp needs to go in for repair with 400gb on it's drive. I need a laptop for a few days, can I put my old 160gb drive into my wife's MacBook format it, install SL and do a partial time machine reinstall of essential files?