Clean install from SL = No Sound / Volume Adjustments

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ChuckieD, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ChuckieD macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, this will actually be my first post here as I just joined MacRumors and find this may be the right place to post this.

I cannot seem to get any sound or volume adjustments when I just did a install of Lion on my MacBook Pro (Mid-2009) model. I just recently bought a new SSD and just did a clean install of Snow Leopard and immediately installed Lion right after to see that the sound would not be able to be adjusted. The sound did work on Snow Leopard but not on Lion.

Now the things I have tried doing was to plug in a headphone and then unplug it. That works and everything will be fine, but as soon as I restart or Shutdown the computer then its back to me not being able to adjust the volume until I plug and unplug a headphone.

Theres a screenshot to show you guys what I mean that happens.

Please, if anyone can help me solve this problem, that'd be real great.

Attached Files:

2. ChuckieD thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone? This problem reoccurs even after reformatting the computer.

3. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Try blowing really hard into the headphone port, then plug in some headphones, then take them out.

4. ChuckieD thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that last night, still not working unfortunately.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

This one's annoying. Really hope it's fixed in 10.7.1.

OP, before I knew of the headphone trick (which does work for me) restarting a few times in a row usually fixed it.

6. ChuckieD thread starter macrumors newbie

Cougarcat, so i'm not the only one then?

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Definitely not!

8. ChuckieD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip on restarting a few times, i'll try that right now

9. ChuckieD thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that the retail version is out, anyone getting the same problem as me?

10. 1984 macrumors 6502a

Same thing here and I just did the regular update from 10.6 not a clean install.

11. ChuckieD thread starter macrumors newbie

Even after the Mac Store purchase, it still has no volume adjustments. Wonder if a patch will fix this

12. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Yep, MBP 13" 2010 version. Installed Lion and now the sound doesn't work. I've tried everything.

I'm guessing it's a missing codec for the MBP cause my 2010 27" iMac has no issues.

13. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

Spring 2009 13" MBP. Clean install. No sound adjustment.:mad:

14. ChuckieD thread starter macrumors newbie

Hopefully they can fix this bug. On Apple's discussion forum, people are having the same thing

15. IvanM macrumors newbie

Hi i am having the exact same problem as well.
    i went to an apple genius and he suggested me to reinstall lion (which i have no idea how to do cause i can't find the installation app on my computer nor can i re-download it from the app store. any solutions?) And he said if it still doesn't work, i will have to go back to snow leopard for the volume adjustment to work properly. Which annoys me a lot since if it doesn't work, i will have to either live with plugging and unplugging headphones into the jack every single time i turn on my computer or the fact that i've wasted 29.99 for lion. :confused:

and he said they haven't received any similar problems, so that kind of worries me a little whether or not they are going to fix it on the next update.

my macbook is also from mid 2009, don't know if there's anything to that...

16. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

That is a ridiculous "solution" provided by the "genius".

They need to address this as a real issue. I am not reinstalling the OS only to have the problem remain.

17. norrismantooth macrumors regular

Sovereign and IvanM --

the Lion installer deletes itself after install to free up disc space. The only way to get the installer back is to redownload from "Purchased" section in App Store, or store it to a flash drive/external hard drive (which I did).

Not quite sure what to say about the sound being broken, but I had several issues when I installed -- no midi drivers, no firewire drivers for external interfaces (music), no Facetime (has been fixed via a hack). Other than ProTools being broken, everything is fine.

18. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

I have the Lion .dmg. I'm just not going to go with the advice to reinstall, when this should be fixed by an update.

19. wl04 macrumors newbie

I also have the same problem. After reboot i don't have volume adjustments. Im using mid 2010 13" Macbook Pro. Thats clearly a bug and i hope its going be fixed in 10.7.1. At the moment i found 2 working solutions in internet:
    - Plug/unplug headphones;
    - Open terminal and enter sudo kill -9 `ps ax|grep 'coreaudio[a-z]'|awk '{print $1}'` (that kinda resets sound daemon).
    Hope thats gonna be healpfull for people who encountered same bug.

20. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Me too

I'm having the same problem on a 13" Mid-2009 MBP. I reported the bug to Apple, and I suggest any other people with a similar problem and a development account do the same.