Clean Install From Time Machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dban23, Jun 24, 2011.

1. dban23 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

My Mac is freezing too much for it to become workable and I would like to do a clean install of Mac OS X.

My questions is though, if I have everything backed up on Time Machine, and during the Mac OS X install process, I restore from Time Machine - is this just likely to restore the problems causing the crashes?

I know this is fairly broad, but was hoping there might be some advice out there. Anything is much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Dan.

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

Depends if your problem was hardware or software and from which date you restored. If it was software, and you restore from a point known not to have the issue you should be fine. If you just restore from the most recent back up and the issue is software, then the issue would be restored. If it is hardware related, doesn't matter when you restore from, hardware is hardware and it will still malfunction.

3. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Don't expect a restore from TM to work properly if you're running 10.6.6 or newer. The restore doesn't work well - I ended up reinstalling from fresh.

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

My TM restore while running 10.6.7 ran without a hitch.

However, marc11 is right. A TM restore would have to be done at a point where you know you were not experiencing the problem you have. If you don't know when that was, then it may be better off doing a clean install and only using the TM to restore documents and files; reinstalling any apps you have, separately.