Clean install - how do I migrate Mail/iPhoto/iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by faranv, Jun 9, 2009.

1. faranv macrumors newbie

I will want to perform a clean install when SL is released in September. But, I would like to have my iPhoto library (events, faces, places, etc.), my itunes library (song ratings, play counts, etc.) and my Mail (messages, mailboxes, etc.) kept in tact. Is this possible? If so, how would I got about doing this. I know people have asked similar questions to this, but I have not been able to find a reliable answer for all these concerns of mine. Thank you to anyone who can help out!

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Would doing an Archive and Install of SL be considered a "clean" install?

3. faranv thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I am not sure. Basically, I feel as though my system is being bogged down by years of apps/plugins etc. that I have put on it (I migrated from an old system). Obviously, it's not as bad as Windows, but I feel like I see the spinning beach ball much more than I should with a unibody MBP.

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

If you're talking about reformatting your drive and then installing the OS, just backup your home directory. After installation, recopy to your newly created home directory. To keep things as fresh as possible, you may want to be selective in what you copy from the Library, but it really isn't necessary.

If you just want to save the items you mentioned, then copy your iTunes folder in Music, your iPhoto Library from Pictures, and your Mail folder from inside User/Library. You might also want to copy your browser's folder (for Safari it's in User/Library) so you have your bookmarks and history. If you sync with MobileMe then this isn't important.