Clean install ios7?

vra24

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Is it possible to do a clean install of ios7 on my ipad mini. It crashed while doing the most recent update and has been weird ever since. It says it's on the most recent version but the setting app still has a 1 on it. It's really glitchy and has trouble downloading apps.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Is it possible to do a clean install of ios7 on my ipad mini. It crashed while doing the most recent update and has been weird ever since. It says it's on the most recent version but the setting app still has a 1 on it. It's really glitchy and has trouble downloading apps.
Yeah, just restore it in iTunes. Back up your things first, but know that restoring from a back up will defeat the purpose of a clean install.

vra24

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
I did a restore on the ipad itself and it still did the same things

sbailey4

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I did a restore on the ipad itself and it still did the same things
After you restore in itunes and restore your backup, go to settings>general>reset> and select the "Reset all settings". Then once the device reboots go back through and set it up like you want it. That will not delete apps and such but will default the settings ,network connections and wallpaper. You will need to add back wifi networks.

If that doesn't help then restore again (iTunes) and this time set up as new. Just download all your apps again manually and don't restore a backup and see if it works better.

vra24

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Did you restore from a backup?
No I set up as new and still have the 1 on the settings app. The only thing I haven't tried was a restore thru iTunes. Does a restore thru itunes reinstall the OS. Thought it just wiped clean the os you have now.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
No I set up as new and still have the 1 on the settings app. The only thing I haven't tried was a restore thru iTunes. Does a restore thru itunes reinstall the OS. Thought it just wiped clean the os you have now.
Erase on the phone just wipes your phone clean. Restoring through iTunes completely reinstalls iOS. I'd recommend restoring through iTunes.

HCO

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Memphis,Tenneessee
I know. A clean install of iOS 7.1 beta 2 gives me 11:37 usage and 11:50 of standby. So. I'm enjoyingy clean install where on my 5s on 7.0.4 I wasn't getting a full day of battery

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Turn the iPad mini off.

Open iTunes

Plug in the usb side of the lightning cable into your computer

Hold down the home button of your iPad

Plug in the lighting cable, still holding down the home button

The iPad will boot and display a USB to iTunes image.

iTunes will detect the iPad, and inform you its in restore mode.

On iTunes click restore, and iTunes will do a full clean install of the latest version of i0s 7 available.

vra24

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Turn the iPad mini off.

Open iTunes

Plug in the usb side of the lightning cable into your computer

Hold down the home button of your iPad

Plug in the lighting cable, still holding down the home button

The iPad will boot and display a USB to iTunes image.

iTunes will detect the iPad, and inform you its in restore mode.

On iTunes click restore, and iTunes will do a full clean install of the latest version of i0s 7 available.
Thanks that did it.

vra24

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
You said there's a 1 on the Settings icon though. :confused:
Ya that was my problem. The iPad crashed while doing the system update. When I got it to come back on it was really glitchy and crashed constantly and still had the 1 on the stating icon. I tried running the update again but it said it was up to date. Pretty much what I wrote in the original post.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
for me helped this, to get rid of really strange bug which some people have:
Reset atleast 2 times settings
Reset all content and settings
Restore from backup

p.s restoring as new or DFU restore didnt help for me

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If you didn't do it via iTunes you didn't do a restore/reinstall. You just wiped your user data. Nothing in so was touched as it needs iTunes for that.

And yes it reinstalls iOS. It has to or your iPad can't be used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.