Clean Install Leopard, but keep prefs and serials?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by caseyw, Dec 21, 2008.

1. caseyw macrumors newbie

I'm probably going to cleanly reinstall my iMac, but I don't want to unless I can keep my preferences and my serials. Is there any way I can go about doing this? I have backup drive and incase that helps.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

backup the home Library and root Library Preferences folder plus your home Library's Application Support folder. all your application and system prefs wil be backed up this way. some application serials may not be backed up so for those just do a reinstall.

3. one1 macrumors 65816

HD>USERS>USER>LIBRARY>PREFERENCES FOLDER will give you access to all your personal preferences for your master account.

4. caseyw thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, that was fast.

Thanks a bunch! Now I have no worries. I just have to find our retail Leopard disc or do the firewire trick again.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you already use TM then all of you settings, apps, etc will move back with migration assistant. It'll be setup exactly like you had it.

6. caseyw thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that, but I kinda want the computer I had, but start anew. Without all the apps that I never used and the crap that slowed it down that I now hate. I want the serials and prefs just in case I might need them that's why.