Clean install Lion (can't download from app store)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by silverhand31, Jun 8, 2013.

1. silverhand31, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013

silverhand31 macrumors member

Right now I need a clean install Lion. But my mbp was pre-installed Lion when I purchased it. I use some trick from google to option - click in app store but can't find the Lion.
    Tried download Lion from recovery disk, downloaded but It can't install for some reason.
    Can someone help me in this case?
    Ps: if I download the installer from torr*** or others source, can it use Xcode and else from apple? If it is, Should I upgrade to mountain lion (wanted to buy but only paypal in my country, and apple didn't permit that)?

Thanks!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can only use recovery Disk or Internet recovery otherwise you have to pay for it.
    I would not recommend to torrent it, first of course it is illegal and you don't know if anyone put something inside which can harm you, just don't.

3. silverhand31 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for reply. So there no other chance for me :( I dont' know why disk recovery downloaded Lion but didn't permit it to install :(

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Did you have to input an AppleID?

I never did because right now I am also in an place where downloads are too slow, next week though I am in palace where I will be able to do this fast.
    I really hate Apple for not putting the whole OS on the recovery, at least do this for Macs with bigger HD/SSD's.
    There is a way to make a USB stick from the downloaded file, see my link below, this may be easier for you and you then have a bootable Installer.

Create a bootable Lion install drive for newer Macs

5. silverhand31 thread starter macrumors member

Don't really remember, maybe yes, also in app store, logged in with my apple id, Lion didn't show up. So I think that the reason for Disk recovery didn't permit me to install lion

I have an idea, If I use my friend mac, for some way, to get Lion from app store. Can I use that file to install LIon, and become legal to do all stuff like upgrades, Xcode?

Followed your link.
    The trick to download Lion into backup disk seem hard to me. Cause I have only one backup disk, and it filled with time machine backup ( stuffs I prepared before trying reinstall lion). So I can't reformat this disk. :(

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

A USB stick (Minimum 8 GB ) will do!

As for Lion in the AppStore, it is there, but again, you have to buy it, even when it was on your System, the only way to avoid paying for it is to use Internet Recovery or the link I gave you.

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Please describe exactly what you did, and exactly what happened, including any error messages.

8. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Lion is no longer available in the App Store (unless you have previously already purchased it).

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Oh, yeah, forgot about that.

10. chrfr macrumors 603

It actually is, but you need to call the Apple Store to get it.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you on Lion now? If you are, you are overly complicating this.

Just command-r boot to recovery and start Disk Util, then erase Macintosh HD... then click install OS. That is a completely clean install.

You will not be prompted for an AppleID since your machine came with Lion. Apple's servers will see that from your serial number and give you Lion free.

12. silverhand31 thread starter macrumors member

Whoa, I didn't erase Macintosh HD before click install. Maybe that the problem. I retry this this night. Hope everything's going smoothly. Althought I have time machine backup but this is my first time so :D
    Wish me luck guys :rolleyes:

13. silverhand31 thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys, I'm back.
    Clean installed Lion :D
    My step:
    1. Format my main drive
    2. Choose install Lion
    3. Go to sleep
    4. Configure new Lion
    Thank a lot for helping me.
    P/s: ****** the Time machine, if I wasn't copy my old stuff to the new Lion before it run, everything will be erased to get place for new files.

Now, from the time being. Should I continue using Time machine or CCC for backup?

14. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I'm having trouble with that first sentence. Are you saying that TM didn't backup your files?
    I've used TM since 2007, and found it to work very well. I've used it to restore countless files when something has gone wrong or I've been silly.

I've not done a complete restore from it, as I haven't done a clean install since TM was introduced with Leopard six years ago.

15. silverhand31 thread starter macrumors member

TM did backup my files. But it backup automatically, and "remove old files to make room for new backup" that almost deleted some my old files. Luckily most of my files was transferred to new Lion before it happen :)