Clean Install Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by monsow, Sep 2, 2011.

1. monsow macrumors member

Hi guys.

So, I downlaoded OS X LION from the App store, and I've heard many people saying that a clean install is better. I know how to do a clean install, the problem is, is it possible to do a clean install and keep all of my files like my documents, apps etc. etc., without the use of time machine of any other external hard disk?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Install Lion and see how it works for you, I upgraded from SL and can't say I had any sort of issues. If you're not happy, you can backup your stuff and reinstall Lion fresh from the recovery partition that it creates upon installation.

3. monsow thread starter macrumors member

I forgot to mention, I already have Lion installed. It works pretty fine, but I can't tell if it's better than SL, because I upgraded to Lion 2 hours after I got my new MBP. But I've heard ppl say that a clean install is better, and Im thinking of doing one, but I don't want to lose all my files in the process.

And btw, I don't have an external hard drive or anything so I don't think I can use time machine.

4. treestar macrumors 6502

A clean install only works if you erase a partition on your disk drive. Unless you have a separate partition for your files, no you cannot do a clean install and retain your files without a backup.

I think people only recommend clean installations because it erases all the crap users put on they computers. There's nothing wrong with a clean install if you have a clean computer to begin with.

If you don't want the hassle of recovering your files and applications just do the upgrade.

5. RayK macrumors 6502

I would recommend just stay with it the way it is now. That way you don't have to worry about loosing files and complicating things. IMHO.

6. treestar macrumors 6502

I believe the Mac OS Extended file system lets you make a new partition of unused space. You could make a new partition and move your files there, but don't do a full Time Machine backup because it will just dirty up your clean install.

7. monsow thread starter macrumors member

Alright I think I'll stay the way it is, hopefully 10.7.2 is out soon to fix the few bugs there are.

Thanks for the answers :)

8. treestar macrumors 6502

Yeah, just stay put. You aren't going to gain anything from reinstalling Lion.