Clean Install Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by tacticalvi, Oct 24, 2013.

1. tacticalvi macrumors newbie

Don't have a spare USB / DVD to create a bootable version of Mavericks to perform a clean install. I do have a DVD copy of Snow Leopard though. So I was wondering if it's possible to clean install Snow Leopard (currently on Lion) and then upgrade to Mavericks? I'm assume the result won't be much different to a true clean install of Mavericks.

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Yes you can, but it's not very "clean"...

Don't you have an external hard drive ?
    If yes you can do a partition of 8 GB and create the bootable installer on it (same as a USB stick).

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

The benefits of a "clean" install are debatable. A clean install is usually a specific response to a major problem with your OS. Otherwise, there is neither need nor point -- particularly if you then intend to restore all your settings, apps and data.

4. tacticalvi thread starter macrumors newbie

Totally forgot about that. Might do it that way then. Thanks!

There's nothing wrong it; just that this machine dates all the way back to the Leopard days (2008?) so I thought giving it a fresh start would be nice. Don't really mind reinstalling the apps and stuff. There's nothing much on it since it's not my main computer.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

My old 2006 iMac started with 10.4 and had each OS loaded on top, up to 10.7.
    Clean installs achieve very little, apart from spending your time.

7. Yell0w macrumors regular

8. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Command R on bootup, go to disk utility, go to your hard drive and erase. Restart the computer and you'll be taken to the same screen and you'll do able to install Mavericks from the Apple servers.