Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goran08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2020
I have successfully installed Mojave on my 4.1->5.1 on internal SATA SSD. No troubles at all, everything worked as charm. But when I tried to do a clean Mojave install (from internal SSD as Mojave boot drive) it starts well but then I get the message "Installing macos Mojave on this mac requires that all graphics cards have Metal support and that FileVault is disabled" I do have a Metal compatible graphics card (upgrade High Sierra -> Mojave was with no issues and everything was working fine) so I am guessing that FileVault is creating some kind of problem here. Any ideas? Would REALLY appreciate if anyone can help! Thanks in advance!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Yeah, you're not allowed to have File Vault on since it requires a boot screen capable card, and no Metal supported card officially supports boot screens on those Macs. Turn off all APFS encryption

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have successfully installed Mojave on my 4.1->5.1 on internal SATA SSD. No troubles at all, everything worked as charm. But when I tried to do a clean Mojave install (from internal SSD as Mojave boot drive) it starts well but then I get the message "Installing macos Mojave on this mac requires that all graphics cards have Metal support and that FileVault is disabled" I do have a Metal compatible graphics card (upgrade High Sierra -> Mojave was with no issues and everything was working fine) so I am guessing that FileVault is creating some kind of problem here. Any ideas? Would REALLY appreciate if anyone can help! Thanks in advance!
Mojave don't officially support FV2 with MP5,1, Apple removed support. Any of your drives has FV2 enabled? Did you tried from a createinstallmedia USB installer?
[automerge]1579199053[/automerge]
Yeah, you're not allowed to have File Vault on since it requires a boot screen capable card, and no Metal supported card officially supports boot screens on those Macs. Turn off all APFS encryption
eVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition and Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Edition both have METAL and pre-boot configuration support. You can say that most cards don't have and Apple removed because that, not that no card has pre-boot configuration support simultaneously.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
eVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition and Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Edition both have METAL and pre-boot configuration support. You can say that most cards don't have and Apple removed because that, not that no card has pre-boot configuration support simultaneously.

Fair enough. No card that Apple sold the Mac Pro with directly then :)

Is it possible to run Mojave with FileVault anyway? Has anyone tried this? If I installed Mojave to an unencrypted partition, and then copied the whole damn thing to an encrypted one, would that work?

Keep in mind that there are actually two ways to do encrypted bootable drives in Mac OS. One way, by far the most common way, is that you encrypt after the fact in System Preferences. This gets you the "user log on" screen which is really an EFI screen where you pick your user and then type your regular password.

The other way is much less common but it works. You encrypt the partition when creating it. So the entire partition has a password, and this password has nothing to do with your user password. When you boot this kind of partition, you get a different EFI screen that asks for the disk password. You enter the password, and then it boots to the actual Mac OS User Login screen, where you then need to type your user password.

I have a MacPro5,1 with the stock card, Radeon 5770 HD, which is not good for my 4K monitor (I only get 30 Hz). All I want is a card with Boot Screens and 4K 60 Hz and METAL. I don't really care if it's "old" or whatever. I have been looking for over a year but the information is overwhelming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.