Clean install Mountain Lion-Mavericks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ACEVindi, Apr 20, 2014.

1. ACEVindi macrumors newbie

Hello guys!
    I will get 2012 rMPB 13" in few days.This is my first Apple computer, and im familiar with it just as same as i am with agriculture in Ruanda, so, not much :D
    Computer is almost new, used just a few months, and it comes preinstalled with Mountain Lion and some applications.
    Are there any nice souls that can explain me how to delete everything and create fresh install (and then update to Maverics)?
    If there are, thank you a bunch :) Bare in mind that im a newbie, so as much details as possible lol

Thanks!

----------

Also, completely unrelated to topic (sorry mod's), does anybody have any good advices/links/things to pay attention to for new Mac users?

2. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

3. ACEVindi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!
    Will the software that comes bundles with Mountain Lion be included in Mavericks (i mean Apple software, not 3rd party aps)?

4. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Do you mean iwork and ilife apps? These are separate downloads in the mac app store, not part of mavericks itself.

So if you still want to do a clean install, you can do it the way I said and then download these apps later.

But must you do a clean install? If not, you can skip the bit about formatting with disk utility. Just install mavericks over the top of mountain lion and keep the bundled apps without having to download and install them again. That would be easier.

Another possibilty is migration assistant. Before doing the clean install of mavericks, do a time machine backup, then migrate the bundled apps you want over again after upgrading.

5. Felasco Guest

Given that you are a newbie, I would suggest doing nothing for now.

Explore what you've got, and see how it works for you. If you find what you have does what you want to do, there is no compelling reason to upgrade.

You should have some specific reason why you want to upgrade. If there is some important feature in Mavericks that you don't have in Mountain Lion, that would be an example of a good reason.

If you do decide to upgrade, don't install Mavericks on top of Mountain Lion as suggested by Apple. Too many people are reporting problems with this method.

Instead, create a bootable clone of your Mac on an external drive, and update that to Mavericks. This will allow you to test Mavericks without risking anything. Your existing setup will remain untouched.

I wrote a six page article on this subject, aimed at new Mac users like yourself. If you'd like the link PM me and I'll send it along.

Good luck!

6. ACEVindi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help guys :)

Thing is that somebody else was using it for a 3 months, and deleting everything and going with fresh install sounds like a wise thing to do.

Like i said, im not really familiar with it, but i also dont see a reason to stay with Mountain Lion if Mavericks is new version which most likely brought some improvements to the OS.
    I also dont have anything to migrate, so i think that downloading Mavericks from Appstore and creating bootable USB is the smartest way to go :)

7. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Warning : if you want to be able to download iLife and iWork apps after your clean install, you must save these apps to an external drive.

After you have fresh installed Mavericks, copy the apps from your external to your Applications folder, then go to the App Store : the new apps will be available for download.

If you don't have the olds apps on your drive, you won't be able to get the new ones for free : you would have to buy them.

8. ACEVindi thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Are you sure? :(
    That doesnt make any sense to me, what do they care if i reinstall it a million times, i paid the machine...

9. rlsikosek macrumors newbie

Boot your MacBook into recovery mode. In Recovery Mode you can do a clean install of OS X.
    Install an clean version of OS X:

-Turn your Mac off
    -Turn it on and immediately hold the cmd and R keys
    -Your Mac will boot into Recovery Mode
    -When booted you will get a few options click on Open Disk Utility
    -Format your Hard Drive in Disk Utility
    -When formatting is done close Disk Utility
    -Click Install OS X

Update to Mavericks:

-When the clean installation is done open the Mac App Store and download OS X Mavericks

For more information visit this website:
    http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_boot_lion’s_recovery_mode

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Bruno is correct, and here is the problem. When you buy a new Mac now, it is true you get a free copy of the iLife and iWorks apps. The way that works is when you first startup you login to the App Store and it allows you to "claim" your free apps. From then on you can redownload those apps all you want.

The problem is this was done with the original owner and their AppleID and not yours... so if you do a clean install then login to the App Store with your AppleID those apps will not be free for you.

11. amielDH macrumors newbie

will my MacBook Pro's battery cycle count reset to 0 if I do an OS X Mavericks clean install?

12. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

13. amielDH macrumors newbie

Ok, that's good news! Because I don't want it to reset. Thank you for the reply. :)