Clean Install Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taedouni, Aug 3, 2012.

1. taedouni macrumors 65816

I upgraded my $2200 Mid 2012 cMBP to ML on release date but noticed that it was a bit sluggish (reminded me of when I upgraded my 2011 MBP to Lion). Today I decided enough was enough and did a clean install and it is now so smooth. :)

Just though i'd share for others who are having trouble.

2. Eddyala macrumors newbie

I live in the greatest city in the world-N.Y.C.
    I'm glad that your OS is running good.Alot of people have said they've been having trouble with the new Mountain Lion. I for one have also been having my share of problems but the one that bothers me most is this one: Everytime I try to Shut Down my iMac, it doesn't want to turn off. I have to go to the button in the back of my screen and press it for a few seconds and then it will Shut Down. This has happened several times and I don't know what it might be? I'm thinking that maybe because I don't have any AC,with temps up in the 80's and
    the back of the iMac screen getting very hot too.Maybe thats part of the problem? But maybe not? What about the Mac users in Hot Climate areas? I'm sure that they use there Macs alot without worrying about overheating them.I
    just know about my machine and the things happening to it.I don't know what
    it is and if someone out there has any ideas, please let me know,OK?

3. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

How did you do your clean install?

4. dougaha18 macrumors member

A really easy way to do it. You need a 8gb+ flash drive, OS X 10.8 .dmg file, and the Lion DiskMaker app (http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/)

(backup files if needed) Make the bootable USB drive with that app and boot your MacBook up with it. Erase the files, hit reinstall and you're all set!

5. tundoopani macrumors newbie

How did you reinstall iLife?

6. Lyrrad macrumors member

Before reinstalling, redeem your iLife in the App Store so it's tied to your App Store account. I failed to do so before I did a clean install and had to request redemption codes from support in order to install those applications.

7. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

I too did a clean install (after upgrading) and find that the computer in general runs better/smoother. Using the base rMBP.

Been a Windows user for a long time, nothing i'm not used to. Some people comment that this mentality doesnt apply to Apple, but i dont feel that way. There is def improvement in my system.

8. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

9. dougaha18 macrumors member

I didn't reinstall iLife yet because I didn't have any use for it yet. I hope I don't need redemption codes! It's listed with an "install" tab on the app store so I don't think I need codes.

10. taedouni thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry to bring up an old thread. The best way in my opinion is after installing ML, to access Recovery (I think it's command R ) on boot up. From there wipe the disk clean them download and install ML.