clean install, new hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kostas117, Nov 17, 2014.

1. kostas117 macrumors newbie

Hey guys

I have a macbook, the first generation of the allumijum ones (late 2008 i think) and recently it had a fall. As a result the hard drive is dead. So, i bought a new one. A samsung ssd. Before changing my hard drive when i was trying to boot it was giving me the folder with the question mark and when i was trying to boot pressing the alt key it was giving me only the mouse pointer. I also have a bootable usb with osx lion but when i boot with alt it gives the option to choose it but the then it gives me the forbidden sign. I haveno other hard drive on it qhen i am doing this. If i plug the ssd it doesnt see the usb.is there anything that i could do?

Thank you in advance.

2. epichfallen macrumors newbie

The installation on your usb device may not be accurate. If you have a working mac nearby, you can erase your usb device and create a new startup usb.

You can check this link for further information about creating a bootable OS X usb :

As a late 2008 macbook user, I suggest that you should consider using newer OS like Mavericks or Yosemite.

Good luck.

3. kostas117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. How do you explain the fact that when both ssd and usb are pkugged in the usb is not recognised?

4. epichfallen macrumors newbie

Does this happen when you boot with pressing alt button?

5. kostas117 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, when i dont press alt it gives me a folder with a question mark.

6. kostas117, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

kostas117 thread starter macrumors newbie

my ssd is completely empty (just took it out of the box and plugged it in) and my usb has capacity of 8gb. do i need to do anything else to my ssd before plug it in? i dot want to transfer any data to it. i just want to install the os on it.