Clean install of applications in fresh 10.11 install?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by RepentHarlequin, Aug 27, 2015.

1. RepentHarlequin, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015

RepentHarlequin macrumors newbie

Is there a recommended procedure to reformat & fresh install Applications
    from a Time Machine backup ontop of El Capitan once the release is official?

There are no “original disks” these days, of course & some of the applications
    are not purchased via the appstore.

Anything new & different in the 10.11 install?
    (I missed that this is a common question).

It is not feasible to upgrade every application (Photoshop, for instance) to its latest incarnation, so I realize I will have to go back to the old disks for that, but what about VPN softwares, etc?

Also, app compatibility - does anyone know if FCE remains functional?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

For many software with only a single app folder, dragging them to your new El Capitan will be enough to install them.

Some other software, such as software require driver to operate need to be reinstalled using original pkg file or dmg file to install.

3. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

There's no point in reformatting a drive if you're going to use TimeMachine to bring back all the old cruft. Re-install everything from scratch for the best performance after a reformat.

If you want to use TimeMachine to bring over all your settings/preferences, etc. then don't bother reformatting - because it's not going to provide any benefit whatsoever.

4. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I don't use Time Machine...
    I'm speaking individual programs and their files, point by point.