Clean install of leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ChudMaster, Oct 24, 2007.

1. ChudMaster macrumors newbie

Can i do a clean install of just leopard, or will i need to do a clean install with the restore disks that came with my MBP and then upgrade to leopard?

2. dr_lha macrumors 68000

If you're buying the retail version of Leopard then you can do a clean install with just the Leopard DVD.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

There's a billion of these types of posts here. Do a search and you'll learn about your options.

4. sanford macrumors 65816

I've never done a clean install on an OS upgrade and never had any problems. YMMV, but you may be costing yourself more time than it's worth.

5. ksz macrumors 68000

Doing an in-place upgrade of Panther to Tiger resulted in a bunch of unstable apps, most probably because of corrupted 'preferences' files. The initial build (or builds) of Tiger were problematic for many (not all) upgraders.

If you have a completely solid Tiger installation you might be okay with an in-place upgrade to Leopard. As for me, various apps like Safari, iPhoto '06, iMovie '06 (haven't upgraded to the new iLife) continue to crash (Safari will often crash as it tries to start) so I'll be using this opportunity to wipe out my laptop's hard drive and reinstall everything, minus any crapware.

6. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

as am i...leopard is a perfect oppurtunity to clean out your hard drive...especially if you plan to used time machine

7. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I have a machine that has been upgraded from Jaguar -> Panther -> Tiger with no issues, and I plan on doing so again with Leopard. I've never had any issue with the machine (or any others I've performed an "upgrade" on).