Clean Install of Lion Q's

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dezza.1985, Aug 2, 2011.

1. dezza.1985 macrumors member

Hi

Since upgrading my 2010 13" MBP I have found that it is very sluggish, many people have advised a clean install of Lion as this should correct these issues.

My question however is... If I the recover from a TimeMachine back-up does this then bring back too many settings meaning that the install will be slow once again.

The reason why I want to restore from the TimeMachine after installing a fresh Lion is so that I don't loose things like play counts in iTunes and don't have to sit for hours importing photo's etc into programs?

Cheers

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

time machine restore will not make a clean install

concerning itunes and stuff, just move your itunes files over (like the library, xml, etc) and it should be fine when you open itunes up.

per iphoto, merely transfer the library as well and same thing

3. dezza.1985 thread starter macrumors member

Looking into this further, I am finding that there are other options that I need to keep such as Address Book, iCal etc. Is there no way to get the information from the TimeMachine backup without erasing the effort of the Clean Install?

Can you manually go into the backup and drag the files out?

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Address Book and iCal are automatically synched up if you got MobileMe (or coming soon iCloud), if you don't then you can probably get a Gmail account and synch up with that. Just have to play with it a bit, but I know its possible.