Clean install of Lion recommended!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by troop231, Jul 26, 2011.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

Got a new MacBook Pro a few weeks ago which of course shipped with Snow Leopard, so the day Lion came out I jumped the gun and got my free upgrade and installed it. However, since then the battery life wasn't as good as Snow Leopard's, so I decided to try my hand at a clean install even though I'd have to reinstall all of my apps. What a difference it makes to do a clean install! My battery time estimates are back on par with my Snow Leopard's. If any of you are hesitant about doing a clean install, well, don't be! :D :apple:

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Is it recommended to upgrade to Lion first before a fresh install again? I'm just concerned that the mail library, preferences etc has to be 'upgraded' for Lion before importing.

3. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Simply make sure everything is back up and then upgrade, no other requirement necessary. Clean installing is not required (although it gives you that squeaky clean feeling :D )

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I haven't had any issues with performance after upgrading, apart from the initial re-index of my drives and a runaway process due to a legacy program.

Otherwise, my battery life seems good and the computer is pretty fast.

5. Meetster macrumors member

I would recommend a clean install since after upgrading my MBP had only 3h of battery life (after restarting, Spotlight updating done, no program open) and now am enjoying atleast 5 to 6 hours :)

6. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

How do I do a clean install? I have some blank DVD's and I have already installed Lion onto my Macbook.

7. cinek macrumors 6502

you should have burned it to a DVD before installing it, if you can download it again check this http://eggfreckles.net/tech/burning-a-lion-boot-disc/

8. ryanrich macrumors regular

Pfft, I've had my MBP for almost a year and my SL install was loaded with apps. Cleared all my cache and temp files, upgraded to Lion, waited for reindexing to finish, rebooted, and battery life, temps, speed is all identical. In the cases where people have problems after upgrading I believe it must be a specific app or something that went wrong during the upgrade process.

I wouldn't upgrade a Windows install, but with OS X I find it a totally different process...

9. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I did a clean install of Lion too. I just thought it was a good excuse to get rid of some unwanted rubbish that had built up on my system over time. Glad I did.