Clean install of Lion?

jmy2469

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
I purchased Lion on the day it was available,and installed it on my 2011 MBP. How can I re-install Lion? Want to just wipe everything clean and do a clean install. Thanks for the help.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
I purchased Lion on the day it was available,and installed it on my 2011 MBP. How can I re-install Lion? Want to just wipe everything clean and do a clean install. Thanks for the help.
There's more than a couple of ways to do it probably. Here are a couple:

1) Use the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant and create a bootable usb flash drive.

Use that flash drive to re-install. It will require a network connection to Apple and it will download all of the most recent Lion. It will take a while depending on how much bandwidth you have. I did this at home with a decent cable broadband connection and it took me about 35 minutes for the download part.

2) Download all of the Lion installer first to a flash drive ( or DVD I guess ) and reinstall from that.

You still have to download everything ( once ) but then you have a full local copy for next time.

Info on how to do this is here ... macworld hints

jmy2469

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
There's more than a couple of ways to do it probably. Here are a couple:

1) Use the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant and create a bootable usb flash drive.

Use that flash drive to re-install. It will require a network connection to Apple and it will download all of the most recent Lion. It will take a while depending on how much bandwidth you have. I did this at home with a decent cable broadband connection and it took me about 35 minutes for the download part.

2) Download all of the Lion installer first to a flash drive ( or DVD I guess ) and reinstall from that.

You still have to download everything ( once ) but then you have a full local copy for next time.

Info on how to do this is here ... macworld hints
johnhurley, thanks alot for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.