Clean install of Mavericks fail (Mac Book Pro 2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Swag-Man, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Swag-Man macrumors newbie

Howdy,

Hoping for some help here please.

I recently got my MacBook pro back from the cops after it was stolen and need to do a clean install.

I have made a USB install drive and run it when it gets to the 'restart' after it has copied the files across it just hangs on 'will restart in about one second'.

I have been unable to test run any tests on the complete lap top but it was running when it was returned to me 'could log in as a guest' I have checked the ram in another mac book and put the hard drive in a caddy and run checks on that.

It has a OWC 120gig SSD and 8 gig or OWC ram if that matters. is a 15" early 2011 and i think is the i5.

Cheers in advance

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I had this issue once found out my RAM was faulty I swapped the RAM back to factory RAM i had and it finished the install

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I'd re download and re make the install drive in case something was lost when making it.
    And let it run for a while on will restart, mine hung in a few places like that for a while

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

A Mavericks installation takes longer than previous OS X releases, even with an SSD. It's not unusual for the progress bar to look like it's hung up for a few minutes during the process.

5. Xerotech macrumors 6502

I recently installed Mavericks on a friend's computer. Even with the SSD it hung there for about 10-minutes. You can always attempt to install it on an external HDD to see if it's the SSD or the other components causing the hiccup.

6. Swag-Man thread starter macrumors newbie

I have picked up some more ram and a small optical hdd so will see how that goes tonight.

It was hung on the "will restart in about one second" screen all night 7hrs so I guess thats a fail.

Will see how we go with new components.

7. Swag-Man thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok new and new hdd still crashes with one second left :-(.

I'm taking it into apple tomorrow although given its 3+ years old it will cost a small fortune to fix. I have done some more searching on here but haven't come up with anything.

Cheers

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

did you try and swap out the RAM?

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I had a problem where the installation couldn't be completed because the date was greatly off. Check out this link. From the installer, go to Utilities > Terminal.

I, however, got an error message before the failure. Once I corrected the date I experienced no hang or delays during the install process (early 2011 15", Samsung 840 Pro).

10. Swag-Man thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate I saw you post but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Got it working now on some old slow ram. I think the 2400hz that I have put in there was to good for the old machine. Got some second hand from a PC shop works now.

Seems silly but it works so I'm happy

Thanks for the help guys / girls