Clean Install of Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Jetheat, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Jetheat macrumors regular

I have an iMac from 2007. I've currently got Mavericks installed on there.

I plan on wiping it clean and reinstalling Mavericks and then selling it.

My current copy of Mavericks was downloaded from the App Store and as for the Mountain Lion before it, I dont have a CD.

So how do I create a bootable disc with mavericks on it that will work for me?

Does the new install require me to install Mountain Lion first, or can I just install Mavericks.

How should I go about doing this?

Appreciate the help.

JH

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

4. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

I posted that before mavericks was publicly released.

GM means Golden Master which means a build apple thinks might be ready for public release. They usually give it to developers for testing in case it needs changing again before public release. In the case of mavericks, it was actually. So there were 2 golden masters which had builds 13A598 and 13A603. The build 13A603 one was the one which became public release.

If you only recently downloaded it, your build is probably much higher than that. The instructions remain the same however.

Once you have made the bootable usb, you can boot up from it with the option key, use disk utility to erase the drive and then cleanly install mavericks.

5. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, so can I do this with a copy I download from the App Store? Will that suffice for this or do I need to obtain a full version some other way?

6. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

The one from the app store is the one you should use.

If you are going to sell it, I would also suggest that after installing mavericks from the usb and the computer restarts and starts asking you to set it up, don't. Shut it down straight away. Let the new user set it up.

7. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Keep in mind that if you upgrade to Mavericks and then sell the computer, the copy of Mavericks will be tied to your Apple ID and could become a problem for the new owner.
    Personally I would reinstall the original Operating system and let the buyer download and install the free Mavericks upgrade using their own Apple ID.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no need to make a USB installer. Just hold command-r when you boot and you will get the recovery screen. From there start Disk Util and erase Macintosh HD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click Reinstall OS X and wait for the install to finish. You will be asked for your AppleID to complete the download, but this does not tie your AppleID to the install at all, it just allows you to download from Apple's servers.

Make sure you tell the new owner to login to the App Store with their own AppleID and "purchase" Mavericks so they will be able to reinstall with their own AppleID if they ever need to.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

This.

The only reason you need a USB installer is if you want to mess with the disk's partition table. If you just want to reinstall, just use the recovery partition.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Not everyone has high-speed internet access that can download Mavericks within an hour.

Another use of a USB installer is to mass-deploy the OS on several Macs, or for reinstallation without having to wait over 10 hours to download the OS via Recovery.

11. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Well yes. However in this guys case he needs to download it anyway to make the installer, so why would he faff around making a USB stick (he won't magically download it quicker by creating a USB stick!).

And he also (I assume) only has one mac he wants to reinstall. Unless you're Psychic and seeing something I'm not.

(P.S. For deployment on multiple Macs, Netboot would be a FAR better option, but I'm sure you know that).

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Netboot is friggin useful especially in corporate environments :D

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Sorry for this question, so if I have Mavericks installed and did this, it's like doing a clean install on a Mac?

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... exactly the same.

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Thanks! I installed it on my daughter computer and it doesn't seem right. I was going to go buy an 8GB flash drive to have ready to do a clean install. This info I can just do it now and not spend money on a flash drive (yet, I still want it on flash drive before the new OSX comes out). Thanks again!