Clean install of SL not overwriting everything!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by m-ac, Jul 16, 2010.

1. m-ac macrumors newbie

The iMac I have just bought was partitioned by the previous owner. Now, I did a 'clean' install of SL tonight, booted from DVD, utilities - erased disk and then installed. The problem is, there are still folders on the mac that the previous owner installed and added, even after this. Some its saying I dont even have permission to open!

Please, help!

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Did it have multiple partitions?

3. m-ac thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it had 2 but I erased the disk in utilities which said it would erase partitions too? It doesnt show partitions now, just shows as one drive so I figured that wasnt an issue?

Another 'interesting' thing is I tried a migration after installing SL and it said I had 920gb out of my terrabyte drive available. Seems strange 80gb has been taken with a clean install of sl??

4. m-ac thread starter macrumors newbie

I just downloaded and run Grand Perspective to try and figure out why my harddrive is coming in at 930 gb but I cannot spot anything. When I view an overview of the whole drive though, it says 'volume size: 931 gb'.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If there's still stuff from the previous owner on the hard drive after formatting, then you must have not got it formatted properly. When you did the formatting did you do it like it's described here (for Leopard), Formatting & Partitioning a Hard Drive in OS X - Tiger and Leopard?

As far as the size, a formatted hard drive is also smaller after formatting than the stated manufacturer size. Of course the OS will also take up some space.