Clean install of SL - what order should I do things?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ss957916, Oct 26, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I installed SL when it came out and it was a crashing hellhole, so I went back to leopard.

Now though, I'm trying again. But what order should i do things? Leopard is installing now. When that's done should I install all my apps and all the updates and then install SL? Or should I install SL straight after?

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I had no issues with my upgrade to SL at 10.0 nor from a clean install. Since it sounds like you're doing a clean install of Leopard, why not do a clean install of SL directly?

Next if you have iWork, iLife or whatever from the media that came with your Mac, install only those apps from the CD that came with your hardware. Then copy back your personal files from your backup media...

Since you had troubles before, I would avoid importing settings / old hacks that may be the source of your problems, so for instance do not import the ~/Library folder nor any system files.

I did it like this just to have a clean, new as possible install while I was at it, but really there were no issues from the upgrade. I exported my Apple Mail settings, calendar & browser bookmarks to import into SL, then brought my personal user files back into SL from a backup without any settings to get a really clean install of SL.

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

This.

Also, make sure all your applications are current. Install them from scratch and let them build new pref files.

4. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Ah yes, I did this too but forgot to mention it for the OP, others. Thanks.