Clean Install of Snow Leopard - partition question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by msw123307, Jan 16, 2010.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I need to do a clean install - I've been having some bad issues with my new 27". Not too long ago, an Apple tech. walked me through an install on another machine.

He had me insert the disk, and go to partition inside Disk Utility. We basically recreated the partition. My question is, what are the steps for doing this? I cant remember. Basically what the tech said was doing this wipes out some of the boot files that an erase and install wouldn't do. Plus it's really quick. Which is kind of strange to me - since he claimed it wiped out more than an erase. But I just need a fresh start.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Basically I need to know what to select in the Partition section. I just want to repartition the original HD before installing SL not to change the size, but to clear everything.

I just wondered if there were any options I needed to select before I did it.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you read the guide?

Basically you just need to re-partition (or not, as there is Boot Camp assistant for later partitioning due to installing Windows) in Disk Utility and choose GUID as partition table option (which is not spoken of in the guide I linked to).

[​IMG]
    You can access that option by clicking OPTION in the lower middle of the Disk Utility window.

5. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah - the guide sent was just kind of basic info about disk utility, which I'm somewhat familiar with already. However, your post about the GUID partition option was what I was looking for.

It looks like that's the default option, so I won't have to change it. Then I'll just leave the format the same (OSX extended, journaled). And I should be good to go I think.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear about what I needed, it was hard to figure out how to ask that question correctly.. :eek: