Clean install on Mac Pro and old hardrive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JoeRalat, Nov 21, 2010.

1. JoeRalat macrumors newbie

Hello, I just order a new 1tb hard drive for my Mac pro (2008 model). I did a install of snow leopard and after A few months the computer is unusable. It freeze all the time and I can't do any work on it.

So I order a new drive, I will be doing a clean install from my snow leopard upgrade disk on the new drive. What I am going to do is remove the old drive and install the new one, but after I reinstall the os on the new drive, I want to put the old drive back and copy my files from the old drive to the new.

Will there be any problems with that. I will not be copying apps, just my adobe files and my iTunes music.

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As long as both HDs work, it should be fine. If your current HD is dead, then it won't

3. JoeRalat thread starter macrumors newbie

My fear is booting issues. Both drives will have Mac os on them. Will there be issues with the computer trying to figure out which one to boot from.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hold alt while booting so you can select the boot drive

5. JoeRalat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. One last question, is there a way so the new hard rive will be the one to boot up from.

Thanks again

6. toxic macrumors 68000

in System Prefs - Startup Disk, the highlighted disk is the default boot disk. I think there's a Startup Disk utility in the install CD as well.