Clean install on new SSD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Charlottle, May 1, 2018.

1. Charlottle macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a new Crucial MX500 1tb SSD. I want to replace my MacBook Pro’s current HD with this and do a clean install of the OS on to it, but it just doesn’t seem to be working. I currently don’t have High Sierra installed but I have made a bootable USB drive of the High Sierra installer from my applications folder and tried to install using this installer to my SSD. When it restarted during the install, I ended up getting a cycle of the computer shutting down due to a problem and restarting and it eventually turning off and not being installed.
    I also tried to install it to the SSD straight from the installer in my applications folder, and when the computer restarted it just reloaded my current HD and system and the OS was not installed on the SSD.
    When I try to go on to recovery mode it just keeps saying it will take a while to load internet recovery mode. I have formatted the SSD and ran First Aid in jt and it shows up fine in disk utility and the finder, the install just doesn’t seem to complete.
    I am not sure what else to try and feel like it shouldn’t be this hard. I have a mid-2012 non retina MacBook Pro.
    Does anyone have any ideas to help me please?

2. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

You may need to change the hard drive cable as well. There are reports that on older MBPs, the original cable either goes bad or it simply can’t handle the data speeds of the SSD.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

What version of the OS is on your old hard drive?
    Is it still bootable?
    Can you put the old HDD back into the MacBook to get it working again?

Please answer and I'll advise you how to proceed.