clean install- only migrate specific settings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by riordan, Jul 15, 2010.

1. riordan macrumors newbie

I have a few questions regarding reinstall. I have a new hard drive I am installing with a cloned copy of a previous install. This version I am currently running/back up seems to be a little questionable.

So I want to do a clean install of Snow Leopard, keep my settings (safari, itunes, mail, firewall, etc) I don't want a new user account on the clean install.

If I was having trouble with a certain app should I bring over all my apps from the previous install or reinstall everything using the migration assistant?
    I have a lot of software, FCP, Adobe suite etc which I'd rather not install again, but when I am done I would like a pristine version of my OSX with everything running well without a new user account. Is there a way to do this easily?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately, Migration Assistant doesn't offer a way to pick and choose exactly what gets migrated... so you're going to be best off reinstalling Mac OS X as you plan to, then using Migration Assistant to migrate the stuff you need. I recommend migrating files and folders on [name of boot hard disk] for your case, since those folders contain, among other things, licensing info for applications you have.

3. riordan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm that's kind of a drag... so its old settings, old installs on a new OSX or new OSX, new installs, and new settings? Once this is done can I use the applications etc on the other user account, and will I have to reenter all the software keys?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You can use the applications just fine. You may or may not have to re-enter license keys, depending on the application.