Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Do people think that perhaps Apple should just make each new release a clean install only? I know it is a fabulous aim to just pop in Panther to upgrade Jaguar seamlessly, and I know for many people it has been as easy as that, but Apple should be in the game of achieving as close to zero issues.

However much control Apple have over their hardware, there is no denying that there are a lot of users with badly maintained OS, and a raft of 3rd party haxies, and surprise surprise there are issues with Panther when loaded on top of "less than optimised versions of Jaguar".. Also even for those with a sweet set up, I cant see that an annual spring clean is too much of a concession. ie surely a clean install is in the best interest of everyone and the simplest way to get a bug free installation.

I have all my data backed up on an external drive, so wiping an internal drive for a clean install isnt an issue. And with a 150 new feature upgrade like Panther, I found it useful to start again with preferences, which dont really take long to sort out - it forced me to became familiar with the new deal that Panther offers.

Or is that idea just giving in to the users

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Doing an upgrade from 10.1.x to 10.2 caused no issues for me on 2 different machines. Doing an upgrade from 10.2.8 to Panther has caused me tyo go back and do an erase/install on one of them and that has resolved a lot of issues.

I am going to do the other machine which had less problems) in a couple of days.

In this case, I feel Apple missed too many bits and pieces for the upgrade or the archive/install option to work properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.