Clean install OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jordan9, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Jordan9 macrumors member

Jordan9

I have a mid 2012 MBP running 10.10.5 and want to do a clean install of OS X. From my previous two MacBooks I have always migrated from one system to next, keeping all files and settings. I have an SSD as the boot drive and moved my HDD to the SuperDrive bay and use that as iTunes and Photos library and some Virtual Machines I use for work. I use Time Machine to backup both drives.

Should I go ahead and wipe the SSD and do a clean install of OS X Yosemite or wait for El Capitan and do the clean install with the new OS X?

This will be my first time to do a clean install and re-import my files back to it. I have wiped my previous MBAir that I gave my wife for her to start with a fresh system. Is there anything I should look out for when copying my files back over from my Time Machine backup?

When I wipe the SSD to re-install OS X, it won't affect the HDD correct?

2. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

The timing is up to you, do it now or wait a few weeks for El Cap to be released.

It won't.

I'm the wrong person to be answering this because I've always used Migration Assistant to move apps and data back to a freshly nuked SSD. However… take a look at this narrative that discusses the ins-and-outs of doing a clean install: http://katiefloyd.com/blog/rebuilding-a-mac-from-scratch?rq=nuke.

It's not that difficult if you plan ahead.

3. Jordan9 thread starter macrumors member

Jordan9

Thanks for the information. I'm still in the planning process.

I need to go through the files currently on here to clean up the files I no longer need and organize them better instead of doing it during the re-install.