Clean Install OXS HELP!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ben Simpsy, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Ben Simpsy macrumors newbie

i am fixing up my girlfriends macbook, not 100% sure of model but its an older model, 1gb RAM core 2 duo etc.

the hard drive went kaput bigtime and i had to re-format. she didnt have the original leopard disk that was shipped with the machine and to my knowledge you cant even buy leopard any more. i went to do a clean install of lion but because it only had 1gb of RAM it wasnt too keen and the machine wont accept my snow leopard disc that shipped with my 2011 imac.

the only other thing i thought of was to remove the hard drive and put it in an enclosure and plug it into my imac and install snow leopard, then take it out and put it back into the macbook, thoughts?

any other options?

2. Ben Simpsy thread starter macrumors newbie

its been a long day, cant even spell the title right...:rolleyes:

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

You can try target disk mode if the macbook has a FireWire port, you boot the MacBook holding the t key, and having it connected to your iMac via a FireWire cable.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It's because you're using the disc that shipped with your iMac. That disc is locked to your model of iMac and cannot be used with any other computer. It actually says this on the disc as well.

Your best option is to upgrade your gf's RAM and then either purchase SL to put on it or install Lion on it. Either way, she needs more than 1 GB RAM. Personally, I'd max it out. Get 4 GB for it and she'll either see all 4 GB or 3.3 GB of it, depending on the model. It's not expensive and the computer will run so much faster she'll think it's a new one (and you'll score lots of points as well).

You can install SL with 1 GB RAM, though that's the minimum requirement. You could also try to dig up a copy of Leopard on eBay, but it seems to be ridiculously expensive. If you contact Apple, for a small fee you can have them ship you another set of the discs that originally came with her MacBook.

5. Ben Simpsy thread starter macrumors newbie

i was under that impression that i couldnt, but she did purchase snow leopard but the disk is in another city and i dont want to pay for something twice. the machine doesnt boot from my lion disk (i could still install through OSX) so even if i upped the ram it doesnt look like i could do a clean install without snow leopard.

I might try target disk mode and see what happens, as i said i just dont want to have to pay for something twice.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Couldn't what?

What Lion disk? I'm assuming it's one you made yourself (since there's no other way to make one), can you confirm that it does work on a different Mac?

7. Ben Simpsy thread starter macrumors newbie

that i couldnt install from my imac disc

your right, that was my home made Lion disc. it works if i am upgrading from snow leopard, but i cannot boot from it (atleast not on the macbook) i dont mind as such, i mainly did it becuse my imac was recalled and i didnt want to have to download a 3gb OS again.