Clean install problems after adding GeForce 120 to Mac Pro 3,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by M.Ford, Aug 2, 2010.

1. M.Ford macrumors member

Hi guys,

I have been looking and looking to no avail. Even the oracle is of no help. My GeForce 8800 that came with my Mac Pro:
    (
    Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
    Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 8
    L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
    Memory: 6 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
    )
    died, sadly, so I bought the GeForce 120 from the Apple store. My thought was to put the card in and do a clean install but when I try to boot to the CD I get a black translucent screen saying that I need to reboot the machine. I did try that and had the same result. I even tried to reset the PRAM but that did not help. Does anyone have any suggestions? The system is running now but only because I happened to get an install off before the card really died. I can pop the old card in and it will boot to about the language selection screen before it locks up.

Related to this, I was trying to restore from a Time Capsule using the migration assistant but for some reason it will not read the backups. I was hoping that during the install I would have that option. I can browse the backups directly. What I really need out of them is the file for iTunes that has all the ratings. I really don't want to go through that again and I don't have a fresh export of that information from iTunes.

Thank you for any help you might have in this.

Michael

[edit] I finally found the iTunes answer. I wanted 3 files from backup: iTunes Library, iTunes Library Extras.itdb and iTunes Library Genius.itdb. I replaced my current ones with the backed up ones and I am good to go with that. The install issue still remains :(

2. MacVidCards Suspended

GT120 might need newer software than your install disk.

Check OS.

3. M.Ford thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the reply. Is there somewhere I can get an .iso of a more recent build? It's the typical catch 22. I need to be able to install the OS to get to software update but I can't install the OS until I have the update. The best way would be to have an .iso that has all the patches/drivers installed.

4. MacVidCards Suspended

What OS are you trying to install?

You should see if APple specs on GT120 list the minimum OS.

5. M.Ford thread starter macrumors member

Snow Leopard from the official discs. I think that it is a driver issue since the disc came out before the card. In my updated system, I just plugged it in and everything worked. But, from scratch, it doesn't. I wonder if Apple would send me some updated SL discs? I would hate to have to manage a clone in the event I have to reinstall from a clean disc.

6. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

If you can't get a dvd with those vid drivers already on it it will be tough to do unless you can boot to your old card and then update the drivers in SL and then install the new drive. You need to find a temp card that will boot it. maybe in an Apple Store genius bar?