Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
My question is what exactly is necessary to back up when I want to do a clean install? I did a clean install of Tiger and I had problems with errors when i tried restoring my user folder. Particularly, with the Library folder. I am wondering if, when I copy a folder over, does it delete the contents of the original folder? I am thinking that my Mail quirks are a result of missing files. When I do a clean install, should I be able to just copy of my user folder and apps folder and be all set? Should I do this logged in to my normal account?

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
patseguin said:
Huh? You saying search the boards?
Yeah...

At least 10 threads about this same issue.

My question is what exactly is necessary to back up when I want to do a clean install? I did a clean install of Tiger and I had problems with errors when i tried restoring my user folder. Particularly, with the Library folder. I am wondering if, when I copy a folder over, does it delete the contents of the original folder? I am thinking that my Mail quirks are a result of missing files. When I do a clean install, should I be able to just copy of my user folder and apps folder and be all set? Should I do this logged in to my normal account?

But, here's what I can tell ya. I'm not sure what two copies of a user Library will do, but it seems like it will screw stuff up. If I were you, I'd just back up the installers of apps that you don't have the CDs for.

Also, backup Classic! Tiger doesn't have a Classic System Folder.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Yeah, after looking through other threads, it seems like the best way is to back up data like tunes, photos, and then just re-install apps. That way, ~/Library should be cleaner.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
patseguin said:
Yeah, after looking through other threads, it seems like the best way is to back up data like tunes, photos, and then just re-install apps. That way, ~/Library should be cleaner.
Yep. Otherwise, it's getting messy in your Library as it's having doubles of files...

Back up photos, music, apps, and documents to DVDs (I'd suggest seperate DVDs for each), and also your Classic System folder. Once Tiger up, reinstall and copy back your data from the DVDs.

Be advised this will take a few hours, so I'd suggest waiting until you have a free day (like a Saturday morning, so something).

If you have an iPod or external HD, that would probably be faster then backing up to DVDs or CDs.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
You can back up some important things from your Library though, like your keychain, Mailboxes, Address Book data, Adium logs and such, other specific things you need to keep. Just go through and find important stuff like that. Oh, and export your iCal calendars too if you use it. And Transmit preferences, if you have FTP bookmarks. Just try to think of any important stuff you use daily and figure out a way to back up the data involved that's your own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.