Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

butterwm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
I am trying to do a clean install with Yosemite as I have had some bugs with the previous version that carried over. I have made a bootable install disc on a thumb drive and am ready to try it.

The question I have is that I have two hard drives on my iMac, the 250GB SD Drive and a 1TB normal hard drive. I have all my documents, pictures, music, ect. located on the hard drive. On the SD drive I just have the OS installed. When I do to install, I know I am supposed to erase the drive so it's a fresh install. If I choose to erase the SD drive and reinstall, will I lose everything on my other drive or will it still be there?

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
I am trying to do a clean install with Yosemite as I have had some bugs with the previous version that carried over. I have made a bootable install disc on a thumb drive and am ready to try it.

The question I have is that I have two hard drives on my iMac, the 250GB SD Drive and a 1TB normal hard drive. I have all my documents, pictures, music, ect. located on the hard drive. On the SD drive I just have the OS installed. When I do to install, I know I am supposed to erase the drive so it's a fresh install. If I choose to erase the SD drive and reinstall, will I lose everything on my other drive or will it still be there?

IF you only erase/reformat the drive containing the OS, all your data on the other drive will still be there, that's the huge advantage of having your files on a separate drive (or even a separate partition).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.