Clean Install, recommendations, tips needed.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ColeUK, Sep 22, 2011.

1. ColeUK macrumors member

So my iMac and MBP could both use with a clean up after some time of fair usage.

I plan to upgrade to Lion imminently so thought this was the best time to do a clean install. Do you have tips and recommendations to the following:

Backing up my personal files, music and so forth, is all that is important to me, as I will reinstall applications that I want and let the rest go etc...

I am planning to back these up to my MBP using 'Chronosync' via Firewire (most files are already synced) and then wiping my iMac and installing, SL and then Lion. I then plan to transfer back all the personal files and then wipe my MBP and install Lion. Again I will use Chronosync.

Do you think this is the best solution, or should I consider Migration Assistant? I guess I am being thorough when I say I want to sync the bare minimum back, as to not transfer any garage or un-neccessary files from applications, or debris from times gone by.

That said. I may be making more work for myself then needed? What would you do or suggest?

Appreciate any tips, advice.

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I did this when I transferred to Lion and it worked fine. I wanted to do the same thing as you and just carry over applications and important files without bringing over everything I had previously (which is why I didn't use migration assistant). Although I just manually copied my important data to an external HD and copied it over after the install. If you plan on using chronosync, make sure it is compatible with Lion first. Other than that your plan sounds good.

3. Sc00tr macrumors regular

I would make a bootable clone of mac using Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper.