Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I am doing a clean install on my Mac Pro and want to bring in my user directory onto a 2nd drive (where it was originally).

During the install, should I point to an external drive where I know have my user directory cloned and allow OS X to restore it?

Should I just copy my user directory to the 2nd drive after doing the install?

Other caveats? I can foresee all sorts of potential problems. Anybody have any experience with this?

I know that I will lose my apps in the process. That's okay.

Help? Thoughts?

RodoLana

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Moons of the 7th planet
Take a look here:http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/guides/MoveUsers_part1.php

The idea is by separating the OS from the Users Directory is it would make for an easier and quicker clean install or upgrade to a new OS and increase performance.

The only problems I've encountered with this set up is that some applications will only allow installations on the OS drive and some applications (Adobe) will still install items on the OS drive even when installed on another drive. This can become a problem when doing a clean install of the OS and can be solved by reinstalling the problematic applications.

RL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.