Clean install = Saved serial #s

Discussion in 'macOS' started by creator2456, Jun 15, 2009.

1. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I am in the process of completing a clean install of Leopard. At the point now where I am reinstalling some of my apps/pref panes/etc.

Some of the apps and preference panes have retained my serial # and information even after the fresh install (all the way back to 10.5.0).

How/why is this possible?

2. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Interesting.

Did you do a clean install/ archive install/ upgrade?

You most likely did not do the HD wipe?

Let us know what process you applied. I will do the same thing when SL comes out and so it would be good to hear of your experiences.

3. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Could you have sync'ed them OTA with MobileMe or any other data backup services?

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

This interests me... I was under the impression that most apps these days stored their serial numbers NOT in preferences files as to prevent easy tampering...

I would like to do one last reinstall of Leopard and do a manual reinstall of all my files before Snow Leopard, but serials was one of my concerns (even though I have them backed up, I just don't want to type them all in again).

5. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

I did a fresh install but did not format the drive beforehand. I do also backup with MobileMe, although I doubt that 3rd party serials are stored. So far I have not had to re-enter info for: Sticky Windows (pref pane), Shovebox, smcFanControl, CandyBar, iStat menus (pref pane), WeatherDock, and MenuMeters (pref pane). I'm sure I'm missing a couple that just worked after re-downloading and installing.

My process:
    Install Leopard 10.5 from retail disc > 10.5.7 Combo Update > All other software updates > iLife '09 > Software Updates > Bring in personal documents off external HD > download/install all apps/pref panes

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Did you copy over any old preference files?

If not, you can't have done a 100% clean install.

7. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

Did not copy over anything other than word docs, music/video files, and plugin preset files for CS3.

Popped in the Leopard disc and made sure to pick Erase and Install when I had the choice.

Also add Audio HiJack Pro to the list of apps that had saved serial info.