Clean install - Severe preformance issues

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MrManiac, Nov 6, 2013.

1. MrManiac, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

MrManiac macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I preformed a clean install of 10.9 and it seems to have slowed everything down. Ex Multi-tabbing Chrome, Opening apps, Application crashes, App hanging...ect.

I am thinking it may be corrupted install or a underlying hardware fault that I didn't notice in ML. It could also be that I only have 4GB of RAM and I simply need a upgrade. I was considering re-downloading Maverick from the App Store again(Slow internet) and doing another clean install.

I am just looking for some advice or diagnostic tools I could use to maybe narrow down the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Macbook Pro 17" Late 2011 - 4GB ram - 2.4GHz i7 processor.

2. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Activity Monitor can give a good handle on what's easting CPU cycles, as well as a graphical indicator of "Memory Pressure". That's what you should be looking at to see if you have RAM issues. You can list tasks by CPU usage to see what's currently busy. The Network tab shows you what the network is up to.

You may find that after an initial install, lots of stuff might be downloading in the background (over your slow internet) and the computer will be indexing files, making things a little rough.

If applications are crashing, there may be some useful diagnostic information to be had in the Console app. Spotlight search for Console.