Clean install * Solved *

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcman77, Jul 11, 2012.

1. mcman77, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Did a search but couldn't find anything on this...would appreciate some input.

Getting a second hand mac and want to do a clear install, the mac originally shipped with Tiger but now has SL on it.

I've got the discs for SL and want to know can a wipe everything off and just do a clean install of SL straight from the disc?

Please tell me I don't have to find Tiger then install that etc. and work it up!

Thanks!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

As long as the Snow Leopard disc you have is the retail one, then yes you can wipe the drive and do a clean installation.

4. simsaladimbamba

5. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm..how do I know what it is? Its in a box with a leopard on the cover lol.
    Are the originals grey discs?

Thanks, I was just reading that and came back to post that I did hold down the C button. I started pressing just after the apple logo came on and held down until the circle loading cursor appeared but it didn't boot into a different screen.

Do I just hold down C after pressing the power button?

Lastly guys, I'm going to run this on a 4.1, ie intel core duo. Is there anything I have to do to 'fool' it to run in 32bit or something like that?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sounds like you have a retail disc. You should be fine.

7. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you point me to a guide please on how to install retail disc because I can't find one. They are all relating to using the OS that was shipped with the mac.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The links that simsaladimbamba posted in post #4 should work fine, with either the original install disc or with a retail disc.

9. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok its finally done!

The holding C didn't work, also holding down Alt didn't either work. That is because this only works for macs that are shipped with that OS or recovery discs.

How I did it incase anyone finds needs to know:

1. Insert Snow leopard DVD
    2. Open SL, then click to reboot on startup
    3. Enter Pass
    4. It will reboot and you can follow the instructions as usual (as stated above)

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Holding down Alt/Option works on every Mac made since 1998.

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Indeed. Holding C works with every Mac since CD drives were first installed in Macs, as well. OP, I'm guessing you have a wireless keyboard? They often have problems trying to trigger the commands on boot. Usually you have to hit the key at a very specific point after the computer has powered on but before it's chosen a drive to boot from in order for it to work. Glad you got it working right, though.

jW

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The C at boot doesn't work with some early PowerMacs. I think the G3's and the pre-Sawtooth G4's. It also doesn't work if the optical drive is not on the bus it was designed to be on. Example: If you moved the optical drive from 0:0 to 1:0, the C key won't work because the firmware is looking for a drive that doesn't exist anymore.

13. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry guys it didn't work for me. I had > 10 restarts trying all sorts of methods. Holding C before restarting, holding after the initial sound holding it whenever you imagine. It didn't work!

I know the solution is silly but that it works and that is what counts.

If you're interested, the original was running tiger and I was trying to install SL onto the machine that already had SL on it.
    Maybe that changes a few things.