Clean install then recover from Time Machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TXBDan, Aug 29, 2009.

1. TXBDan macrumors regular

What would this do?

I'd like to try a clean install, but i also don't want to reinstall all my apps and settings, etc. But if i recover from a TM backup, won't it bring over all the crap to? I guess my question is, what exactly is on my TM backup? How would i do this?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Everything is on your backup.

Reinstall, then use the Migration Assistant to bring over your user data and applications.

3. daflake macrumors 6502a

It will bring over whatever is in your profile including your apps. I used the migration assistant to connect to the backup and bring it in. During this, you can select what you want to bring back in. It is pretty straight forward.

4. TXBDan thread starter macrumors regular

i guess i'm hoping that any "crap" wil be left behind and the TM stuff will somehow be clean and proper.

think this method is any "cleaner" than just doing a simple upgrade? I'm already via upgrade and things seem to be working fine. but if i can get to where i am right now with all my apps and settings, but with a clean install, i'd do it.

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

On my MBP I did an upgrade install even though I wanted to do a clean, had no time but wanted it done... On my wife's machine I wanted to do an upgrade (she would never know a difference) and on hers it failed... so I had to wipe the drive and do a clean install, go figure. As I type this time machine is doing a restore. I will let you know if I can tell a difference but somehow I think not, unless you were having issues before the upgrade.

6. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I presume this works the same way on a cloned hard drive (Superdupered)?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, it does.

8. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I just go into my Time Machine and manually copy over the files I want (like the iTunes dir, iPhoto Library, Documents folder, etc.).

If you do a Migration Assistant thing it will copy all the crap you don't want like prefs files, folders, etc.

Clean install + old fashioned FTW. :p